Best way to measure stress

Best way to measure stress

Postby suzevw » 13 Feb 2017, 14:31

Hello,

Recently I started working as a phd at VU University. In my research I study the stress of persons with mild to borderline intellectual disabilities. For the medical ethical approval, I have to know how I will measure stress exactly. I read the manaual but I am not sure yet what is the best way to measure stress. Does anyone have any recommendations? Which factors should I take into account?
Hope anyone can help me with this.
Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
Suze

Re: Best way to measure stress

Postby Ineke » 17 Feb 2017, 14:53

Dear Suze,
I suppose you are using the VU-AMS in your research? Will you measure skin conductance, ECG and ICG? In the case of a laboratory study, we would recommend to do so (measure all 3). You can measure stress (i.e. activation of the sympathetic nervous system) by means of heart rate, skin conductance and pre ejection period responses. Medication use is an important factor to take into account while analyzing these measurements.
Best, Ineke

Re: Best way to measure stress

Postby suzevw » 20 Feb 2017, 11:40

Dear Ineke,

Thank you for your response! Indeed, I am using the VU-AMS in my research. It is not a laboratory study. We will measure all the participants in a home setting but these recommendations are very useful! I was thinking about measuring Respiratory Sinus Arrhythmia (RSA) and Pre-Ejection Period (PEP) but maybe it would also be good to take the skin conductance and heart rate into account. And I did not know I had to take medicine into account, thank you!

Best,
Suze

Return to Research